FCC licenses

Since 1996 no license is required for most pleasure boaters for VHF and EPIRB. However, if you are going foreign, want to operate your VHF on land, or have other needs, you need a ship radio license and individual license, or both. The FCC website makes your requirements clear and offers application forms.